Could someone provide a recap of available Eclipse 3.x packages?

Hi there,

I try to follow the list assiduously, but I somehow fail to grasp an accurate picture of the status of 3.x packaging.

I'm a Java/J2EE teacher at an IT college, and we mostly use Linux in labs (Debian GNU/Linux unstable). For several reasons, we decided to go with java-package and Sun's original releases, despite their being non-free. So we're not immediately impacted by this or that packaging of Eclipse 3.x not running on, say, Kaffe or SableVM.

However, the eclipse-xxx (mostly -sdk and -jdt) in unstable/main are still on 2.1.3, so far as I can see. The 3.x branch has tons of improvements that our students use at home, and that we as teachers use on our workstations, but that are sorely missed in hands-on classes.

Could someone take a few moments to post (either on the list or as a personal reply, if you feel that's list-irrelevant) the status of 3.x packaging able to run over Sun-based java-package-created packages? We currently use 1.4.2_06 on lab boxes.

Also, is there some clear, concise info as to when such packages are *expected* (which, of course, is often a floating issue) to go to main, so that some apt-get upgrade could get those in a more standardized way than manually getting and installing them? (supposing package dependencies would work on our JDK packages)

Thanks!

--
Christophe Porteneuve
Chargé d'Enseignement et de Projet