Re: Eclipse 3 packaging

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:57:03AM -0600, Jerry Haltom wrote:

> My goal is to make Eclipse work out of the box perfectly with GCJ 4.0.
> Obviously, the end user (you) can switch or choose whatever VM he wants
> on his own. I am not going to invest my time with making Eclipse run on
> other VMs. Patches are accepted. ;)

Yeah, basing on GCJ 4.0 and providing native Eclipse by default looks
like a very goode idea. As this means we need to compile java to
bytecode/jars first with well get support for non-native runtimes for
free. I'm willing to invest my time test it with most available free
VMs. Non-free VMs can and should be supported too but they should not be
top priority.

> Eclipse does not use Swing. So, the missing support for swing in
> Classpath is not of much consequence to this.

Right.

> > ~    Targeting an interim step, where the goal is to get a really
> > well-formed, modular packaging of Eclipse's components in contrib with
> > it running on non-free VMs would serve to break the work into more
> > manageable steps or phases.  Once a really solid, buttoned-down package
> > that at least builds well on x86 and PowerPC is in place, effort can
> > focus on a move to main, with the assurance of a solid packaging
> > foundation beneath us.
> >
> > III. Choosing An Initial Source Version
> > ~    There has been some talk about this on IRC #debian-java of late, and
> > the consensus seems to be that going with 3.1 as an initial version is a
> > good idea.  I personally endorse this, as I assisted on a bug report
> > with Eclipse[3] that enables a successful build on PowerPC Linux with
> > GTK.  Prior to the 3.1 development stream, this build was very broken.
> > Starting with anything prior to 3.1 will require us to fix/patch quite a
> > bit of stuff that has been remediated in the 3.1 stream.
>
> That's fine with me. I missed my goal for Ubuntu Hoary, which was my
> main reason for wanting a stable release anyways. I assume 3.1 will be
> released before next October. =)

I really hope that we have a mostly stable Eclipse packaged some time
before that date.

Michael
--
Java Trap: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html