Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running on Kaffe

Hi Jerry,

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:04:27 -0600, Jerry Haltom wrote:

> Following up on my earlier notification of Eclipse 3.0 packages.
>
> They now successfully compile Eclipse and **RUN** Eclipse using a Free
> JVM (Kaffe). This means, excluding a few packages, Eclipse 3.0 is ALMOST
> clear to go into main.

Awesome!

> This packages started out as a clean effort. I talked to tromey from
> RedHat a bit. I learned a lot from the JPackage packages he worked on. I
> got the basics working, then merged in parts of Jan's Eclipse 2.1
> packages. In the end, it's really a unique beast... but I copied various
> things from both packages. Credit is owed to both of these efforts.

There are some problems with the jpackage build method. Specifically,
not all jars are built (last I checked there were 12 that were not
building). Another problem is the that there are some patches in the
jpackage rpms that don't actually need to be there. This is related to the
the way that they are building eclipse. I am going to look into this at
some point in the future and possibly change the build method for the
jpackage folks but I can keep you guys informed if you are interested.

I should be up front here and let you know that I am currently working for
Red Hat on their Eclipse team. A major part of my job right now is trying
to sort out the mess that is building Eclipse. Part of why I want to help
out here is so that we, the GUU/Linux community, build Eclipse
using the same (or similar) methods. It has been my experience that the
Eclipse developers (for various reasons) tend to ignore enhancements /
fixes that do not come from within IBM. By using the same build same
build method, it's possible our packaging related bug fixes and / or
enhancements will be given a little more cred.

BTW, I am just about to submit some eclipse plug-ins to jpackage with a
novel build method. If anybody is interested I can post a URL to the spec
files once they are submitted.

Thanks again for the .debs, feel free to ping me with any build related
questions.

Cheers, Ben