Re: error starting java .jar app - classpath issue?

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 01:08:47AM +0200, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 28.10.05 16:39:27, Gordon Pedersen wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 04:10:32PM +0200, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > On 28.10.05 08:01:40, Gordon Pedersen wrote:

> > I'd assumed that on linux with java apps, one can execute them
> > by giving the correct paramaters including the complete pathname
> > of the .jar app file.
>
> You might do it that way, the users should only have to specify a
> command that does all that (i.e. a shell script lying in /usr/bin and
> executing java -jar /path/to/jar -option1 -option2)..

I ended up making a little script that needs to be something
like this:
	$ cd /var/opt/timebox
	$ java -jar tt.jar

But it does rankle, this java .jar that insists on BOTH being
invoked from the very directory where it resides, AND writing to
that very directory.  I don't know debian policy very well, but
it seems to me both policy-flouting and somewhat insecure.  If I
knew there was a potential security hole, I'd file a bug
with the author (who probably could care less about debian
policy).

> Then this application cannot be installed that way in a system-wide
> location. For that application to be properly packaged you propably need
> to fix the source so that it doesn't try to write in arbitrary locations
> and loads it's images either from within the jar (via Resources) or from
> a fixed, proper location in the system (i.e.
> /usr/share/<yourapp>/icons).

Good to know.  Still don't know enough to make a case to
the app developer, but you've helped clarify things.

Along the way stumbled onto JPackage.  And found an applicable
article: <a href="http://www.linuxbase.org/LSBWiki/LsbJava";>
Linux Standard Base RFP</a> for java mdoules, base libraries,
executables

> hack-around by installing this thing into /usr/share/<yourapp>,
> modifying the access rights on that directory to give a group
> "<yourapp>" write acces and then everybody who wants to run the app has
> to add himself to that group. This would be addressed in the
> README.Debian and you should probably add a shell script to the package

Thanks.

--
Gordon Pedersen             gordon@visi.com