Re: Two source packages for one binary...

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 05:28:00PM +0100, Alex Owen wrote:
> This is simply mad...
>
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 Michael Koch wrote:
> > I just spoke with some people on #debian.de irc channel and came to the
> > conclusion that it is possible that two source packages build the same binary
> > packages. After eclipse 3.1-10 is ready I will start to make the binary swt
> > packages built from eclipse compatible to the ones built from swt-gtk (same
> > package names and same files inside). This will make it possible to upload eclipse
> > into the archive in the near future.
>
> I don't see how two source opackages can build a single binary. OK is
> it possible to build but as soon as you tried to put it in the archive
> I'm sure that many of the archive scripts would expect (with good
> reason) that a binary package has only ONE source package.
>
> If there are two source packages how do you know which source to look
> at it the binary package has a bug?
>
> I think you plan to make a compatable package with the same name is
> flawed. I would encourage you to ask for more advice on this from
> Debian Developers (I'm not a DD). What is wrong with the two versions
> of the  swt package having different names and yet provide a virtual
> package and conflict with each other? Or use dpkg-divert in your
> postinst or manage these things with "alternatives". Debian provides
> lots of ways to come with situations like this... Having two source
> packages build the "same" binary package is not one of them! (at least
> not one I've seen before)

SWT source is part of eclipse source drop. The way Shaun put SWT as extra source package
into the Debian archive was by getting a copy out of some Eclipse tree.

I spoke with some ftp-masters and release-managers and they said its possible in general.
But his should be coordinated between the maintainers of both source packages.
I got contact with Shaun now and we are working on a real solution.

Michael