Re: How to compile java files?

Mark Wielaard <mark <at> klomp.org> writes:

> Hi Joerg,
>
> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 21:40 +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> > Barry Hawkins <barry <at> bytemason.org> wrote:
> > > Joerg Sommer wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > [...]
> > > That can be a hot topic, but I'd say the majority of us default to kaffe.
> >
> > Because Mark Wielaard gave me a pointer on a debug FAQ for kaffe, I tend
> > to use kaffe.
> >
> > Thanks for your hot answer. :)
>
> But, but, but. That message was meant to show that you how cool gcj was
> and that you could just happily use gdb on native compiled programs. But
> that if you really, really wanted you could also do something with kaffe
> through some tricks that needed a long debugging FAQ to get
> working... :)
>
> I must admit that personally just use printf(), System.err(),
> Thread.dumpStack() and printStackTrace() a lot which works in any
> environment.

As a lazy Kaffe (and GNU Classpath) developer, I like to recommend other VMs, so
I'd recommend JamVM. Nice, small, speedy and great maintainer. The choice of
many GNU Classpath developers (who are not writing their own VM).

cheers,
dalibor topic

p.s. I use similar debugging techniques to Mark's, but as a Kaffe dev, I also
transparently use KAFFE_DEBUG=valgrind or KAFFE_DEBUG=ddd, Kaffe's xdebugging
support for debugging jitted code and -vmdebug when I feel the need to know
what's really going on under the hood ;) But if you want something that works in
a normal JVMDI debugger, try SableVM, which is pretty cool, too.