Re: Packaging Netbeans

Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> http://ftp.debian-unofficial.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/
>
> The bigger question is, if that packages are suitable for inclusion
> into debian. I think there are licence issues, but I'm not familiar
> with netbeans licencing at all.

Well, I uploaded it to non-free on debian-unofficial.org, because the
package there are made from the reference-binaries.

The binaries are covered by the Sun Binary License, a free-as-in-beer
license with some strange restrictions. The source is covered by the Sun
Public License, a Mozilla Public License-derivative. Both, the SPL and
the MPL are not DFSG compliant. Not enough, if I remeber correctly,
debian-legal stated that MPL/SPL licensed only packages are not
distributable by Debian at all, as this very license has "Claims of
Infrigement" and other abstruse terms (don't count too much on that,
this is just my /dev/memory, I'll have to check and document that further).

However, I'll upload packages with the suffix -native (instead of
-binary which is used for the packages made from the reference-binaries)
in the near future to debian-unofficial.org. Due to the nature of
NetBeans, it needs a Sun JRE/JDK as build-depends. So besides of the
license issues, I don't see much sence in uploading these into Debian as
the Sun J2SE is absent anyways, and NetBeans can't be build with one of
the free JVMs available at the moment.

In the meanwhile, you are welcome to use the packages on
debian-unofficial.org.

Regards,
Daniel