Re: packaging for multiple JDKs

[dropped debian-devel and yourself, I assume you read the list]

Charles Fry wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Charles,

> This issue is further complicated by the fact that increasing JDK
> requirements are also associated with a decreasing ability on my part to
> build the Debian packages using free Java tools. For example, with no
> extra work on my part, I was able to build all releases from JDK 1.0 up
> to 1.2, but I have not yet managed to succesfully build versions 1.3 to
> 1.5 using free tools.

Please, bug the classpath developpers AT <classpath@gnu.org>! It should
work at least with jdk1.4 (well, try to make this work! ;-))

> Have other packages had to deal with similar issues? How would you
> recommend that I approach this dilema?

IMHO, helping free software is the way to go. So you could subscribe to
the classpath mailing list and ask there how you can help and try to
provide patches to make Bouncy Castle build and run and pass all the
test suite with free tools.

This way, your package could go to main, which is a very good thing.
Another approach would be to build the package with some jdk's (1.4 and
1.5 are enough) and add jdk14 and jdk15 to the binary name.

Maybe you can have a look at libpg-java I think it builds several jars
for different jdk's.

  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud
 `. `'