Re: pseudo packaegs

Martín Ferrari wrote:
> Arnaud wrote:
>>Not a bad idea but those Sun's non-free API's are not packaged.
>
> I think most people using java in enterprises should be in the same
> situation as me: my employer wants java, and doesn't fscking care
> about free java. So, I usually package things for in-house use, and
> whenever I can, try to use the free alternatives. So, I think having
> non-free apis packaged is a good thing, and making it easy to
> switching to free (e.g. with this approach) is a very good thing.

I don't understand your problem, I'm sorry. If you package things
yourself, you can change the dependencies, can't you? If you wanna find
something, you can 'apt-cache search' them (try servlet, jaxp, etc)

>>Also, if I follow your idea we'll have nearly a pseudo package for every
>>JSR? ;-) That could be very large! :-D
>
> Yes, it is... But it could grow as it's needed...
>
> We could start with the most popular ones. It is not very difficult to
> add a Provides: line, only the name registration is complicated..

I'm not sure ftp-masters will like the idea of adding 50 new dummy
packages only for java...

--
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud