Solution Re: unexplained vm crash on sarge

Arnaud Vandyck(avandyck@gmail.com)@Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 02:50:51PM +0200:
> Wade Curry wrote:
> > I've just started picking up java, and decided to install it on a
> > UML instance.  I have used the java-package, blackdown .debs, and
> > straight sun .bin package methods.  No matter which one I use,
> > starting java or javac I get a crash.
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, no clue about this. Maybe it's better to try a free VM ;-)
>
> --> kaffe, jamvm, gij, sablevm, etc...

I will likely try these out in the near future.  In the meantime, I
figured out why the JVM crashed 100% of the time.

The system I was using for experimenting with java is a UML
instance ( at linode.com ), and I had recently upgraded my linode
to a 2.6 series kernel.  This combination of 2.6 kernel + UML
apparently doesn't play nicely with GNUtls.  I hadn't noticed
anything that was broken by the upgrade 2 weeks prior, so it didn't
occur to me that it may have been the problem, but it was.  Doing a
"mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled" cleared up the problem with java.
I'm still not sure what effects it will have on my system to have
GNUtls disabled.  I still need to research that.

I learned about the solution by chatting with the people in the
#linode IRC channel.  Couldn't find a shred or a hint about it in
Google or anywhere else.  So, maybe this message will help somene
when it is archived.

Wade Curry