libapache2-mod-jk2 configuration

I am trying to add tomcat4 into my existing apache2 system so that I can
experiment with java (in the form of servlets and jsp).

Although in reality I only have a single computer, for learning purposes I
want to similate the situation where I have potentially split web and
application servers.

So this server has two ethernet cards - one facing the outside world with an
address assigned by my isp using dhcp.  www.chandlerfamily.org.uk points at
this address.

On the other side, my lan side, I have allocated myself a range of io
addresses using eth1 (192.168.0.20) eth1:0 (192.168.0.30) eth1:1
(192,168.0.31) as the devices (and their ip addresses) created via iface
stanzas in /etc/networking/interfaces.

Bind is used to provide different names to the different lan based ip
addresses

An iptables firewall protects the addresses and does NAT.

Using Apache2, I then use ip based virtual hosts, so the external address has
one web site for http and two of the internal addresses support two other
http web sites.  https is allocated a further host on the external address to
replicate one of the internal sites and providing secure access to webmail.

I would like to set up tomcat so that it acts as though it were running on the
single ip address 192.168.0.31 (although appropriate requests to my external
web site - are routed through to it via apache).

Obviously therefore I need to connect apache2 to tomcat4 and therefore
installed libapache2-mod-jk2.

However, there doesn't seem to be any clear documentation to tell me how to
achieve a configuration of this connector to tell me what to do.  There are
examples of configuration and a howto, but all of them assume a particular
configuration and so don't explain what all the keywords mean.

If you look on the jakata.apache.org web site it says that mod_jk2 is
depreciated and that mod_jk is the only one supported.  However if I look at
debian packages mod_jk seems to only be for apache1 and for apache2 I only
have choice of mod_jk2.

So some questions

-why is there no libapache2-mod-jk package (even in unstable - although my
server is running sarge)?

-where can I find a full explanation of the workers2.properties configuration
parameters

-where can I find a full explanation of the mod_jk2 directives that go in my
apache2 configuration

-can someone on these mailing lists help me unravel the example configuration
files and configure them to meet my requirements listed above

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk