Re: tomcat4 & free java

ms419@freezone.co.uk wrote:
I tried using the Debian tomcat4 package, without resorting to Blackdown - but starting Tomcat always fails -

    fis:~# invoke-rc.d tomcat4 start
Starting Tomcat 4.1 servlet engine using Java from /usr/lib/fjsdk: invoke-rc.d: initscript tomcat4, action "start" failed.
    fis:~#

- & in the Catalina log -

    The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
    This environment variable is needed to run this program
    NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE

I suspect I encountered bug #299643, but setting JSP_COMPILER in /etc/default/tomcat4 to "jikes-kaffe" or just "jikes" only resulted in the same behavior.

Hi Jack,

No - you encountered bug #298314 from the kaffe package. kaffe is
currently broken for tomcat4 (missing jdb link). We are working on
a new upstream release which will fix this and other remaining bugs.

Wolfgang