status of swing?

I tried running one of the stock swing demos ("FileChooserDemo") from Sun's jdk 1.2, and to my pleasant surprise it started up without a hitch using sablevm and kaffe. It doesn't look the same as it does when running with the sun jvm, however.

I'm brand new to using any of the free java options available out there...can anyone offer up an explanation of why the app looks different...I'd imagine that it's the swing classes, but maybe could be the awt implementation as well?