Re: Debian java japanese input method and display problem

Hi David,

I have a same problem because I'm Japanese:) I resolved this problem by
following steps. Would you try it?

(1)install ttf-sazamani-mincho and ttf-sazanami-gothic (maybe you can
   use kochi-subst but I used sazanami).
(2)run xfontsel and ensure they are configured for X11.
(3)copy fontconfig.Redhat.8.0.properties.src to fontconfig.properties
   in /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/jre/lib.
(4)replace "-misc-kochi" to "-sazanami-". Then fontconfig.properties
   is describe as follows:
serif.plain.japanese-x0201=-sazanami-mincho-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-c-*-jisx0\201.1976-0
serif.plain.japanese-x0208=-sazanami-mincho-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-c-*-jisx0\208.1983-0

After above configuration, you can see Japanese characters with Java2D
application.

You can learn font configuration more detail by following URL:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/fontconfig.html

regards,

Takashi Okamoto