Re: Question about java-virtual-machine

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:50:54 +0200, Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org> wrote:

> Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:12:28 -0400,
> "Grzegorz B. Prokopski" <gadek@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > PS: When Sarge is finally released shouldn't we think about renaming
> > java-runtime to something like free-java-runtime and java2-runtime to
> > something like non-free-java-runtime?  OR to clearly document that
> > java-runtime actually means "free runtime" and java2-runtime actually
> > means "non-free runtime"?
>
> Very good idea.
>
> Seconded.

It seems to me that the distinction is irrelevant.  A free package is
in main, a non-free package is in non-free or contrib (I can't
remember the rules).  If you introduce free-java-runtime then packages
will start to depend on free-java-runtime and poor sods like me who
use the Sun J2SE for everything will find themselves having to play
around with dummy packages (equivs) to use those packages.

Are there any precedents for this naming convention in Debian?