Re: Anybody working on packaging Maven?

Hi Arnaud,

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 01:13, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> Hi Jerry, Hi Marcus,
>
> > There's an ITP up at wnpp, bug #188782. I've written an email to the
> > bug owner today to find out how things are going and if we can help at
> > all.
>
> Benoit Joly has orphan log4j, I'm not sure he's still interested in
> Maven.

Ok.

> > I've also been speaking about this with some of the Maven developers
> > already (#maven on irc.codehaus.org), one of already attemped to package
> > rc3 up. If the original bug owner is ok with it we'd also be interested
> > in packaging it up. Feel free to join in on our discussions above mate.
>
> You can also refer to this page where I did preliminary work:
> http://people.debian.org/~avdyk/maven.html

Great, thanks for the pages.

> Don't forget you need to build maven from sources with libraries
> existing in Debian (not the one provided by upstream!)... so you need
> first to identify all the libs used by Maven and then package them for
> Debian if they are not yet.

Ouch - is this in the Java policy? Does this need to be satisfied before
you make your first upload, or can we refine the package and their
dependencies as a continual process over time?

For something like maven this could be quite a few packages.

Something else to think about are (future) packages that are built with
Maven, (eg most of the jakarta commons and codehaus, etc code).

Maven will generally download all dependencies during build time unless
we make it run in offline mode, however we have (atm) no automated way
of currently building a local maven repository from Build-Depends-Indep
java packages....

> For any java package in Debian, you can find useful tips at the pkg-java
> Alioth's project:
> http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/

Cool - thanks for that, subscribing to the java maintainers mailing list
now..

Cheers,

Marcus
     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft Corporation
     $       o_)$$$:   Frankfurt am Main, Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: