precompiled .jar files

I maintain the Debian packages for gallery, a web-based photo album
written in PHP.  In the latest upstream release, a handful of
precompiled .jar files were added to the upstream tarball.  The .jar's
are applets that extend the functionality of gallery from the client
side and don't require any Java software on the server.  When I packaged
the latest gallery version for Debian, I recreated the tarball and
excluded the java subdirectory where the .jar files are located.

There's been some posts on the gallery forums and some discussions in
the gallery IRC channel about the applets being missing in the Debian
gallery package.  I'm wondering what the best manner to package the .jar
files for Debian is.  The source is available in the upstream CVS.  I'm
thinking the best way would be to package the java applets separately
(probably targeting them for contrib or non-free, since I doubt the .jar
files can be in the package destined for main).

Anyone have any suggestions?

--
Michael Schultheiss