Re: peer review on Debian Lucene 1.3 package

W liście z nie, 13-06-2004, godz. 01:25, Jeff Breidenbach pisze:
> I made an attempt to package Lucene 1.3 for Debian, to help update the
> existing liblucene-java package in contrib. This is my first time ever
> working with a Debian Java package, and I'm finding parts of it fairly
> confusing - especially some of the fields in the Debian control file.

Happens all the time, not only for the first-timers ;-)

> (Does the package go in main?

It goes into main if and only if it can be built and ran with software
from main.

> What are the correct dependencies/build dependencies? etc.)

Build-Depends is, as the name suggests, list of packages that have to be
installed on a system, so that someone could build the package from
source.

Depends: is the list of packages needed at runtime, to run the software
when a package is installed in system.

> Could someone with more debian-java experience please review?
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=247638
>   http://www.jab.org/lucene

Firstly, usually complete set of things to build package from source is:
1. *.orig.tar.gz file,
2. *.diff.gz file,
3. *.dsc file.

One can then execute: "dpkg-source -x *.dsc" to unpack and patch the
sources automatically.  Though, your .tar.gz was good enough to do
some small testing.  You seems to be missing "ant" in Build-Depends:
field.

After installing "ant" i was able to successfuly build the package
(using Sun's JDK), so the packaging looks good.  This of course means
that the package stays in "contrib" (for now at least).

I really wonder, but if you could get the package built (and later run
it) with i.e.
* libant1.6-java
* new SableVM 1.1.5 packages [*]
* free-java-sdk debian package as JAVA_HOME environment,
then you could put the package in "main".

Hope this helps,

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski

[*] Apparently ftpmasters haven't recovered yet after their visit in
Brasil during DebConf, so temporarily you should fetch sablevm and
sablevm-classlib debs of SableVM 1.1.5 from:

	http://gadek.debian.net/debs

[ i386, ppc and sparc binaries are available ]
--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski      <gadek@debian.org>
Debian GNU/Linux           http://www.debian.org