Re: No jre/bin in free-java-sdk package

Hi Barry,

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 15:43, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> Grzegorz & others,
> In using the free-java-sdk package, I notice that the scripts in
> /usr/lib/fjsdk/bin are assigned to the free Java alternative components
> as follows:
>
> gjdoc      -> /usr/bin/gjdoc
> jar        -> /usr/bin/fastjar
> java       -> /usr/bin/java-sablevm
> javac      -> /usr/bin/jikes-sablevm
> javadoc    -> /usr/bin/gjdoc
> javah      -> /usr/bin/javah-cp
> javap      -> /usr/bin/javap-cp
> serialver  -> /usr/bin/serialver-cp

Yup, you're right.

> Shouldn't there also be a jre/bin directory under /usr/lib/fjsdk with
> symbolic links to the scripts in /usr/lib/fjsdk/bin for java, javaw,
> keytool, policytool, etc. for compatibility with common JDK structures?
> ~ I am not filing this as a bug report since it's not really a bug per se.

As Arnaud said, please fill it as a wishlist bug.  It will take
a (longer) while before we can actually fully resolve this problem.

What is so hard about it?  Let's see a machine at my university:
$ ls /opt/sun-jdk-1.4.2.05/jre/bin/
ControlPanel  java_vm  kinit  ktab  policytool  rmiregistry  tnameserv
java          keytool  klist  orbd  rmid        servertool

I do not think we have free equivalents for most of these yet.  I would
need to look at Kaffe, or maybe it should actually be requested that
classpath-tools provided (some of) these? (what do you think Arnaud?)

Did you actually hit a program that requires these tools in jre/bin and
does not work with free-java-sdk otherwise, or you just noticed that
these tools were "missing"?

This way or another please file a bugreport so that it didn't get lost.

Thanks for using Free Java,

			Grzegorz B. Prokopski
--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski           <gadek@sablevm.org>