Re: apt and java

Hello,

Le Dimanche 3 Octobre 2004 22:03, Omry Yadan a écrit :
> This is all very confusing to new users.
> Having to create a package is kind of awkward, since I just want to
> install someone else's packages.
> is it not possible to bundle sun's Java as a basic package (in contrib,
> for example), and allow users to choose which java they want to install
> the free kafee, or the not so free j2sdk?

It's clearly, AFAIK, not possible to bundle Sun JDK  in Debian for licencing
issues. Sun doesn't allow redistribution/modification of its proprietary
JDK or JRE. But I question myself : how can Mandrake bundle Sun JDK on
their Powerpacks CD (not available freely via FTP, sold on CD/DVD) ? Did
they have a special licencing policy with Sun ?

I think this thread maybe discussed before on debian-legal...

> as a java developer, I find it quite sad that its so hard to install
> java applications through get-apt, the reason is, as far as I can tell
> (and I am a newbie with Debian), is that sun's java is not bundled as a
> deb, so its impossible to put anything that relies on it in.
> of course, there are other java implementations, which are free, but the
> truth is, that in my almost five years of programming java
> professionaly, I have never heared of them

As a developper, you should really have a look at gcj, for example : native
compilation of java is really cool and help Java portability ! It's really
powerful with SWT or SwingWT [1]...

It's really funny to hear Sun saying « Java is portable » : they bring us
x86/linux x86/win32 x86/sparc and amd64/linux... BSD ? m68k ? ppc ?

> - and surely not tested
> anything I wrote on them, so - to say the least, I am not keen to run my
> programs on them yet, I have enough problems with the migration to
> debian now, and would not like bring some more on myself.
> I know the process of creating the package with java-package, or similar
> tools may not be hard, but its much more than new users want to do, and
> it pretty much a thorn in apt-get pretty butt, at least for me.

Cheers,
Damien

[1] http://swingwt.sf.net

--