Java alternatives

I've noticed java, javac, javap, javah, jar, jarsigner, and all the
others, are separate alternatives. I was thinking (experiencing) that
this make it awfully hard to change your default VM, as you have to
change each one of these commands. You may miss one, and then, while
building something may break, and you'll have no idea what's broken
where.

Basically it's a mess and a hassle.

So, I wanted to bring up making all of these alternatives be one group.
Changing java would change all of them. Is this reasonable? Was it
already thought about?

Thanks.