Re: Starting tomcat4 with sudo, #248268 adds root check

Fredrik Jonson <pt97fjo@student.bth.se> - Sat, Jul 03, 2004:

> After i upgraded to tomcat4 4.1.30-5, my normal users cannot use
> sudo to restart tomcat any more. As I understand, tomcat now needs
> root to restart, although my users have not been bitten by this
> particular bug[0] before.
> [0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=248268

 Strange, I checked with:
 bee% sudo /bin/sh
 sh-2.05b# id
 uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groupes=0(root)
 sh-2.05b# id -u
 0

 as well as with:
 bee% sudo su - root
 bee# id
 uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
 bee# id -u
 0

 I also created a /etc/init.d/dummy sh script, and the result of id and
 id -u was identical to a root shel  run.

 I don't understand why the test introduced would not work within a
 sudo?!?

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>