SableVM 1.1.1 Development Release

The developers of the SableVM Project are proud to announce the
official release of SableVM 1.1.1.  SableVM is a liberally licensed
Free Java Virtual Machine.  Although this release is considered to be
a "development" one, we believe that version 1.1.1 is far superior in
to our last stable release 1.0.9.  It also includes important
improvements and bug fixes over the previous 1.1.0 development
release.

The most important changes and features of 1.1.1 include:

* sablevm-classpath is based on the very recent GNU Classpath 0.08
  release

* Working ports to 8 architectures (alpha, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k,
  powerpc, s390, sparc)

* Many fills in JNI interface, reflection and other mechanisms

* Partially working AWT support (as GNU Classpath implements it)

* 'java-sablevm' command wrapper for similarity to Sun's 'java'
  command-line utility

* New manual pages and updated developer documentation

* Many other improvements and a few bug fixes

=== INSTALLATION ===

WARNING: PLEASE READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.  THIS WILL SAVE
         YOU PRECIOUS TIME.

         In particular, you *MUST* pass options to ./configure in
         'sablevm-classpath', otherwise your installation will NOT
         work.

         Easy "copy & paste" instructions are provided in the
         INSTALL-DEVEL file that you will find in the
         sablevm-x.y.z.tar.gz file.  These instructions are also
         available online at:
         http://devel.sablevm.org/docs/INSTALL.txt.

SableVM is available to download from:

    http://devel.sablevm.org/download/1.1.1/

You must download both:

    sablevm-1.1.1.tar.gz
and
    sablevm-classpath-1.1.1.tar.gz.

Or if you prefer the Source Forge download facilities (which are
probably faster), you can use the following link:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sablevm/

We plan to make frequent development releases, but please note that we
also have daily snapshots of our "staging" development tree readily
available at:

    http://devel.sablevm.org/shot

Note that the "staging" code is much more robust than the usual CVS
trunk of many other free software projects.  The "staging" tree only
contains code that has been first tested by developers within their
own "sandbox" development tree.  So, in general, the "staging" code is
very robust.

=== NOTES ===

We appreciate your feedback.  Please feel invited to mail us. See:

You can also join us in real-time on the #sablevm IRC channel on
irc.sablevm.org (alias: irc.freenode.net).

=== BINARY PACKAGES ===

Binary packages of SableVM 1.1.1 are available in the GNU/Linux Debian
"unstable" distribution.  These packages should migrate to the
"testing" distribution in a few weeks.  The binary packages currently
found in the "testing" distribution contain the 1.1.0 version with
some bug fixes extracted from the 1.1.1 release.

We are looking for people willing to package SableVM for other
GNU/Linux distributions (and operating systems).  We have a
preliminary sablevm.spec (for the RPM package manager).  We would
really like to get LSB-compatible RPM packages.  Such packages could
be built on a Debian system (with the help of LSB development
packages).  If you are interested to get involved, we will be glad to
help you.

=== CONCLUSION ===

We wish you great fun using SableVM.

Enjoy!