Re: Debian package for sun's j2sdk

Pierre Machard wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:57:30PM +0100, Heretik wrote:

Hi

I've just read the Debian GNU/Linux Java FAQ and i installed sun's j2sdk on my
debian unstable with a lot of difficulties.

I've read in the FAQ that a debian installer for sun's jdk1.4 is to be made so
i'd like to help doing it.

As i often install debian on some friend's computers, i need a simple way to
install a single debian package for full java toolkit.

So if i can help doing this, please tell me how i could start.

Matthias Klose already packaged the jdk1.4 from blackdown:

http://swt.cs.tu-berlin.de/~doko/tmp/

http://swt.cs.tu-berlin.de/~doko/tmp/j2re1.4_1.4.1.01-1.1_i386.deb
http://swt.cs.tu-berlin.de/~doko/tmp/j2sdk1.4_1.4.1.01-1.1_i386.deb

No need to reinvent the wheel.

If that's the original JDK he *may* be violating the license, since it only allows distribution under specific conditions and *unmodified*. Splitting the original download into a few debian packages can be seen as creating a derived work, i.e. modification of the original work.

In that case, downloading it from him *may* give you no license to use it, since Sun's license is non-transferable. [1]

IANAL, and all that.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/j2sdk-1_4_2_04-license.txt