Re: Kaffe NMU

Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com> writes:

> On Thursday 29 January 2004 00:03, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
>
> Since that just makes them clutter (files in the package that do
> nothing at  all) I think we should remove them or clean it out to just
> those necessary.

As it was an NMU, I did not want to completly remove them.

>> 2° Dalibor told me that some patches could be Debian specific and
>> will never been applied in upstream. So I did try to re-apply this
>> patches in the next NMU. The 00JNIPatch has to be applied. Chatting
>> with Dalibor, it seems the other patches do not have to be applied
>> anymore.
>
> I suspected as much but I didn't know if you considered the new
> kaffe.library.path feature to be a fix to #207998. There is also
> another bug  (number escapes me atm) complaining that Kaffe should
> always check /usr/lib/ jni by default. I think that the patch needs to
> be reworked.
>
> Since your NMU technically may have reopened old bugs lets try to
> coordinate a  little better before uploading NMUs. Please.

n/p, when the next NMU will be in the archive, the patch will
be re-applied so the bug will still be -done.

>> 3° I have upload an 1.1.3-0.3 release of the package but I do not know
>>    where it is?! (the attachment is the result of the upload I did
>>    re-try tonight). I do apply the 00JNIPatch in this version of the
>>    package. (but still do not have any feed back).
>
> See above.

More coordination? OK, n/p

>> 4° I did compile kaffe with linux-pthread.
>
> Have you tried running Ant? I'm fairly sure that compiliing with
> pthread will  break any System.Runtime operations since Kaffe will not
> be able to properly  fork processes. Dalibor may be able to verify
> this. Again, this change may  reopen old bugs. Many people count on
> the Kaffe+Ant combo.

I did talk with Dalibor and Mark Wielaard about this and they both agree
with the pthread (also another kaffe dev told me it was ok). But no, I
did not run ant with it. Does someone with a pthreaded kaffe did that
without problem?

>> 5° I did add jikes-kaffe package in the kaffe source.
>
> I'm amenable to that change.

Thanks.

>> kaffe (2:1.1.3-0.3) unstable; urgency=low
>>
>>   * debian/control:
>>     - autotools-dev, autoconf, automake, m4, libtool has been removed
>>     because they are not needed when building the package.
>>     - Suggests jikes
>>     - added jikes-kaffe package description
>>     - debhelper now versionned >= 4.1
>>   * debian/jikes-kaffe.*: files for the jikes-kaffe package.
>>   * debian/wrappers/jikes-kaffe: added.
>>   * epoch version changed to upgrade the jikes-kaffe package.
>>   * debian/rules:
>>     - added the arch-indep part to build jikes-kaffe
>>     - kaffe is now built with unix-pthreads
>>   * debian/patches: removed all the patches but the JNIPatch because it's
>>     Debian specific.
>>
>>  -- Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org>  Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:33:13 +0100
>>
>> I hope it helps,
>
> Of course it does!

Maybe it'll be better when we'll have our kaffe-task-force on Alioth.

  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud
 `. `'
   `-