Re: [kaffe] Re: bugwatcher problems

Hi Mark, hi Tim,

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 12:32, Mark Howard wrote:

 I was hoping that some Debian Java experts might be able to help out
with a couple of problems with bugwatcher (debbuggtk package).

1)
 Bugwatcher works with gij or blackdown java
 My wrapper scripts just call /usr/bin/java, since both of the above
 create this. This has two problems:
 - my programs don't work if java alternative is set to something else

I got it working (more or less, there are some little issues that I have
to look into) with kaffe. But not with the kaffe package from Debian.

Thanks! That's some good news.

The Debian kaffe package is compiled with unix-jthreads, but gtk
(java-gnome) needs pthread support. When you recompile kaffe configured
--with-threads=unix-pthreads then you can play with bugwatcher like you
can with gij. (Thread system unix-pthread is also needed to run e.g.
Eclipse with swt/gtk bindings).

What do the kaffe developers think. Should kaffe default to pthreads on
systems that support it?

Yeah, seems like that would make sense. Especially as one doesn't have to deal with figuring out SP_OFFSET and FP_OFFSET, which seems to be quite tricky on arm-linux, for example.

Tim, what's your take on this? I've seen that JanosVM 1.0 includes a new threading system, jthreads2, would it make sense to merge it in, and use it instead of jthreads where possible?

cheers,
dalibor topic