Re: java-virtual-machine-dummy and java2-runtime dependencies

Hi Josh,

josh buhl wrote:

well, this is always going to be a problem. i don't see how you can remove the dummy packages without causing headaches for everybody who wants to use Sun's j2sdk or j2re (or any other non debian jvm or whatever). you need a dummy package to tell other debian packages that it's alright if they install themselves and not to worry about it.

Well, if the program you want to run is not a part of debian, and things break, I guess you get to keep the pieces ;)

I don't know why a dummy jvm package is frowned upon, but I would assume that it creates havoc wrt to the bug reports. To me, it appears to be similar to kicking out debian's libc, and replacing it with MSVCRT.DLL [1]. ;)

OTOH, this is one of the things the new java policy proposal aims to solve, by attempting to provide users with simple means to override a packager's choice of runtime.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] Yeah, I know the analogy is broken, therefor the smiley. I'm just not aware of another popular non-free C library [2] that's not part of debian ;)
[2] Which is essentially the equivalent of a java runtime in the C world.