Re: ant dependency on jython and antlr

What do you mean "build files for jython projects"?  Do you just mean it
provides an editor with jython syntax highlighting/etc?  Or do you mean
it compiles jython files?
The second one.

Note that jython is an implentation of python, and so most jython scripts
are run directly (with no compilation required).  You can use jythonc to
compile jython scripts to .class files, though AIUI this is less common.
Is this what you're talking about?
Yes.

I would not mind ant suggesting jython. I object it _depending_ on
jython, because it causes bloat (and a policy violation).

I'm not asking for this dependency, but out of interest: what policy
violation?
Section 7.2, the definition of Depends and Suggests:
"
* Depends
This declares an absolute dependency. A package will not be configured unless all of the packages listed in its Depends field have been correctly configured.

The Depends field should be used if the depended-on package is required for the depending package to provide a significant amount of functionality.

[...]

* Suggests
This is used to declare that one package may be more useful with one or more others. Using this field tells the packaging system and the user that the listed packages are related to this one and can perhaps enhance its usefulness, but that installing this one without them is perfectly reasonable.
"

Would one of the maintainers or co-maintainers of ant care to comment?

Daniel