Re: eclipse crashes on startup

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Eckhart [iso-8859-1] Guthöhrlein wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> whenever I start eclipse on debian unstable, it crashes due to an
> "exception in native code outside the VM" with the error log attached
> below. This started some days before christmas. Everything worked fine
> before. I have not been able to spot the problem and don't have any more
> ideas, so I would be grateful for any help.

[snip]
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (Blackdown-1.4.1-beta mixed mode)

Same here but on a selfcompiled version of eclipse (using debian package
and apt-src) on testing.

Some bugs in the BTS suggest that the Blackdown JVM is causing this and
that either the newer BD version (no debian package available from BD
themselves; check the archives for some links to some created by others)
or a version from Sun remedies this.
Unfortunately that didn't help for me. I have used the latest BD version
(turned into a .deb with mpkg-j2se) and a recent Sun version (also turned
into a .deb). Both still crash eclipse quite fast and somewhat
unpredictably.
The latest BD version even crashes when I try to recompile the
eclipse-packages (it crashes with a similar error message as you posted)
I'll try to redo that with a completely up-to-date Sun version this
weekend.

As the error suggests that some symbols are no longer exported from glibc
you could, in the mean time, try to go back to an older version of glibc
that still does that. Then again, I do not remember seeing an update for
glibc since November or so...

regards,
Thomas
--

	 I think the government that governs best governs least.
	 -- Thomas Jefferson