Re: Jpackage & JDK (Was: Re: [FW] Accepted kaffe 1:1.1.1-5.1 (i386 source))

Ciao Allessandro,

Alessandro Polverini wrote:
On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 12:25, Dalibor Topic wrote:
[...]

Btw, how did your conversation with JPackage guys end up? They seem to have some ideas in common with with debian-java, so I was wondering if a distribution independant Java application/library packaging effort would have a standing chance.

Yes, I'm interested in knowing some news too: I use jpackage since
version 1.0 and it's really great.
Having the same thing for Debian would be awesome, actually, good
support for java sdk and java packages is the _only_ thing I miss from
the redhat world since I switched.

In practice, I'd want something even better for debian, as debian's goal is somewhat huger: debian also cares a lot about freedom, and non-intel-platforms. So ideally, we'd also care about being able to rebuild the packages, research licensing, utilize a common library repository, make sure the java apps run on free runtimes like kaffe, allow for nativiley compiled java apps, making sure the apps work across CPU architectures, etc. Which is the direction where Jan's new debian-java policy proposal is going.

So ideally I'd like to have some kind of package dependency and configuration database for java apps that can be used by debian-java to make debs, and jpackage guys to make RPMS.

It's a pipe dream, but one fine day I'd like to make java debs and RPMs from an ant build by using a JPackage task uses a 'jpackage.xml' file in my build directory ;) And from GNU Automake, too ...

cheers,
dalibor topic