Re: findjava requirement

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 17:03, Jan Schulz wrote:
> sh. bash in this case, as I have not enough knowledge to make sure
> thats 'sh-only'.

Well, we can count on bash being there so that's ok.

> After having this discussion, because they are not 'similar enough' to
> rely on the alternative system.

Well, they *could be* similar enough if we specify exactly what Debian
expects a JAVA_HOME setup to provide.

> /usr/bin/alternative (or /usr/lib/jre-alternative/) isn't save to be
> caleld, when you have a requirement on one or two special VMs and then
> you can't expect that this alternatives are pointing to them.

The packages of those special VMs would need to provide wrappers that
adapt their behavior to the Debian JAVA_HOME standard.

> Consider: kaffe, sunVM, sablevm and gij. User has installed kaffe and
> gij, the alternative system has put gij as /usr/bin/java. App runs on
> kaffe and sunVM. App calls /usr/bin/java (or /usr/lib/jre/bin/java).
> Crash...

Tell me again how findjava fixes that problem?

Ean Schuessler                                      ean@brainfood.com
Chief Technology Officer                           214-720-0700 x 315
Brainfood, Inc.                              http://www.brainfood.com