Re: Installing non-debian java tar

Hallo wcrowshaw,

Maybe...

* wcrowshaw@yahoo.com wrote:
>At this point, I've lost the ability to run java by
>simply calling "java" from the CLI.

You mean it worked before you messed with dselect?

>Currently it
>complains the following:
>JVM not found: libjvm.so  - libjvm.so

This looks like it can't find this in the library.path. Try to set
LD_PRELOAD to the right dir or start java with -Dlibrary.path=... (or
so, I'm not sure about the right syntax of that). If that helps,
install a short script, which does this and install that as
/usr/bin/java. anyway, I can't really see, *why* this can happen. :(

>I've given up trying to fight dselect and finally
>installed the java-virtual machine dummy package.

There is no other way... :/

>Even when I set this as the default /usr/bin/java
>command I get the above error.  At this point the
>only way I can run java is by calling it using the
>full path which is rather annoying.

Strange.

>If anyone could help me set up java properly on
>debian woody when its been installed from a .tar
>file I would greatly appreciate it.

Usually:
Install the tar, setup the alternatives and teh dummy package
and be done.

>At best I
>would just like to get rid of the "JVM not found"
>message and run java simply by type the "java" at
>the command line.

As a last resort: setup a script as /usr/bin/java
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/.../java "$@"

Jan
--