Re: [PROPOSAL] New Virtual Packages and way to handle Classpath

Hi Ben,

--- Ben Burton <bab@debian.org> wrote:

> Just a note:
>
> > People will always complain, as long as the free java implementations
> > are not equivalent to sun's on all accounts. Frankly, as long as they
> > don't want to put the little extra effort, and work with us to fix the
> > issues (for example by implementing and contributing the missing APIs
> > to GNU Classpath), I don't care that much about it. The free java
> > implementation efforts need contributing users and developers, people
> > who just say: it doesn't run my Swing app, it sucks! are not that
> > helpful.
>
> It's not always as black-and-white as this.  I for instance have had to
> look inside sun's src.zip at times in the past to be able to work around
> their bugs.  AIUI this means I cannot contribute to implementing the
> missing APIs.  I presume I am not the only person who cares about free
> JVMs who is in this situation.

You can always continue to make great bug reports, as you do ;)

Writing the code is just one of many ways to help. Writing documentation,
testing the code and writing useful bug reports are also great ways to
contribute. Or participating in creation of a new java policy for debian ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic