Re: [PROPOSAL] New Virtual Packages and way to handle Classpath

We must come to terms with the fact that a Debian Java policy cannot be
built with proprietary VMs in mind. There is no "make it work" when it
comes to proprietary software and Debian.

>From the Social Contract:

"We will support our users who develop and run non-free software on
Debian, but we will never make the system depend on an item of non-free
software."

Let's try to keep the discussion in that framework.

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 16:44, Jan Schulz wrote:
> >I think we have a different perception of communities that free java
> >caters to: for you, it's mostly about making life easier for users of
> >java applications.
>
> Yes. IMO debian policy should go with this approach.

[SNIP]

> >I'm not quite sure what is debian's target audience.
>
> Seeing that debian is famous about 'that it works', I would say, that
> we should have a policy, which:
>
> * makes all our packages working with every JVM, which will run it:
>   . free ones
>   . unfree ones by a well defined API and a installer script
> * make all alternatives of java/javac working in the same way [1]

[SNIP]

> >No thanks, I prefer to root out the cause. ;)
>
> If you can. I'm more the 'make it work' guy...

[SNIP]

> >Yeah, but I don't really care about sun's java packages ;) If they
> >want to package their java for debian, fine. If they don't, I don't
> >understand why you're all so keen on doing it, instead of trying to
> >make the free alternatives better.
>
> Im of the 'whatever works best' group :) At least when I can't help
> myself to somthing better.

[SNIP]

Ean Schuessler                                      ean@brainfood.com
Brainfood, Inc.                              http://www.brainfood.com