Re: [PROPOSAL] New Virtual Packages and way to handle Classpath

Jan Schulz wrote:

On the other hand there is this 'and our users' part in there. And
they expect, that when I install a JVM of a certain version, that all
programms, which require a JVM of that version will work.

What you presumably mean is "when I install a JVM that claims to
be compatible with a certain JDK version, then all programs which
require a JVM compatible with that JDK version will work."  This
is still tautological and I'm not sure it's very useful.  If a
program requires JDK 1.x, then it requires JDK 1.x.  More likely,
it requires certain *features* of JDK 1.x, but it doesn't
require complete 100% compatibility with JDK 1.x.

What happens is that someone will decide "for program P we will
make use of features from JDK 1.x but we will not require JDK 1.y."
That doesn't tell you very much about whether it will run some
alternative JVM.  If the latter claims to support all JDK 1.x
features, then it will *probably* run, but you still have to test it.
--
	--Per Bothner