Re: What is Maven?

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:54:21AM -0500, Mike Maurer wrote:

I'm using maven, too, mainly for smaller projects because it makes
jump-starting a new project easy. I'd love to see it in debian and I'd
like to help where I can.

> One concern I have is how the plugin repository would be managed. It works
> a lot like apt-get, only automatically. This could raise some problems.
>
> Maven pulls in a *lot* of jar files and other things when you first start a
> project as an end-user, which could become very wasteful on a multi-user system.
> There is support for a site-wide plugin repository, but that would probably mean
> getting all (or most) of the jar file dependencies and putting them in a debian
> package. Beta 8 didn't have support for using multiple repositories, which is
> what would be best for debian. A local user repository, and then a fallback
> site-wide repository, with most of the plugins.

AFAIK current maven (beta 10) supports multiple repositories. I'd
suggest to make maven look first in /usr/share/java, then in it's local
repository, last download it and put to /var/maven/repository.

> A related issue is then, do all of the plugins maven pulls in have to be in
> compliance with debian policy? For example, some of the plugins may only be
> available in binary form, but fundamental to maven's functionality. They aren't
> distributed with the maven suite, but are available by using it.

I think maven can be packaged seperately from it's plugins. Non-Free
plugins can go to non-free, the rest to main or contrib.

Anyone going to package maven? I'd give first try on it, else.

-billy.

--
Meisterbohne   Meisterbohne GbR, Küfner, Mekle, Meier   Tel: +49-731-399 499-0
   eLösungen   Söflinger Straße 100                     Fax: +49-731-399 499-9