Re: kaffe-1.1.1 package available for tests

--- Daniel Bonniot <Daniel.Bonniot@inria.fr> wrote:

> >The gij interpreter is quite advanced and for me works better than kaffe
> >in almost all cases where I've done a comparison.  There is no reason
> >(in most cases) that an out-of-date kaffe should be a bottleneck for
> >packages progressing into main.
> >
> In my experience kaffe worked better than gij. I might highly depend on
> the type of program you are running. Maybe I should also try again with gij.

depends on the program, usually. in some areas kaffe's better, in others it's
gcj. We're slowly converting kaffe to use classpath where their code is better,
so being a kaffe developer, I hope that kaffe comes out on top ;) But seriously
speaking, we're converging to a common ground (GNU Classpath) in class
libraries, allowing different java vm implementations to differentiate from
each other on other terms than just 'it can run my code'.

I hope that GNU Classpath will be able to run just about anything thrown at it
in a year or two. Mark Wielaard is leading a very energetic bunch of
developers, and the kaffe guys will be slowly joining in the fun as well.

> In any case, kaffe 1.1.0 is much better than 1.0.7, so it would be great
> to have it in Debian.
>
> >Incidentally, several java packages could move from contrib into main if
> >the maintainers could simply take the time to write their own Makefiles
> >instead of relying on the default ant build system which is in contrib,
> >e.g., #163168.  It's a bit of work but it's certainly possible - see
> >jython for an example.
> >
> Wouldn't it be more efficient to focus on making ant go into main?
> Assuming that needs fixing free JVMs and/or writing library code, it
> would be work useful to other projects, instead of duplicating work to
> work-around the issue.

Mind you, Jim Pick has got ant 1.5.2 to work on kaffe 1.1.0 in the kaffe-extras
module in kaffe's CVS with a few patches. You may want to start by looking
there.

But ... the FSF doesn't think that code licensed under a GPL incompatible
license can be allowed to run on a GPLd VM (i.e. kaffe). So it may not be what
debian wants/needs ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic