Re: Solution for CLASSPATH revisited

Hello

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 07:25:30PM -0700, Nicos Panayides wrote:
> After suggestions from Ola I extended the classloaded and it now works with
> package dependencies.
>
> How it works:
> Every package has a file in /etc/debian-classloader/ with the following format:
> classpath = /usr/share/java/xxxxx.jar ...
> depends = package1 package2 ....

Hmm do it resolve the jars that theese packages provide?

It might be better to depend on jars instead of debian packages. Just a thought.
I also do not really think that this should be configuration files, or?

If it should resolve the jars in the packages we have to change policy
so a package only provide one variant of a jar (non conflicting with each other).
I can think of a few such cases.

> A class is started with: deb-java <package> <classname>
> The classpath is the minimum needed, which avoids class and resource conflicts
> between unrelated packages.
>
> Limitations:
> no recommends, suggests etc only depends.
> Because of that it only emmits a warning if a package is not found.

It would be really nice if it first resolves all the dependencies, then
the recommendations, and then finally suggestions.

I'm starting to like your idea. It will solve a lot of issues, I think.

Regards,

// Ola