A milestone for SableVM Debian package

Hi all!

I'd like to announce availability of 1.0.8-4 version of SableVM
http://www.sablevm.org Debian package which is a major improvement
over previously announced versions. Most important changes are:

* All Debian arches where SableVM's build-deps are satisfied are
  currently supported. There are 8 of them [0]:

    i386, powerpc, ia64, s390, arm, sparc, alpha, m68k

* Now SableVM can run bytecode generated by new jikes

* Improved ANT support [1] (improved reflection code)

* Many bugfixes in both SableVM and debian package [2]

This release is paired with free-java-sdk 0.2-2 which reflects
change of location of the 'java' wrapper - now /usr/bin/java-sablevm.

Enjoy and report

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski

[0] hppa, mips and mipsel don't have libffi which is required for
 SableVM to build and work (anyone would like to try to fix this?)
 All non-intel architectures use slower direct-threaded interpreter
 just to be on the safe side until we have test cases that assure us
 that the faster inlined engine works flawlessly on other arches.

[1] It works for simple cases. More bugfixes and gap fillings to
 reflection code will be integrated into 1.0.9 release which
 unfortunatelly won't happen in next 2 weeks. Refer to sablevm devel
 mailing list if you have problems.

[2] For ex. if you set 'update-alternatives --config java' to sablevm
 the setting now won't be forgotten (and switched to auto) on upgrade.

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski <gadek@debian.org>
Debian http://www.debian.org/