Eclipse on Debian unstable hangs

Hello,

I ran into a strange problem on my new laptop (dell c640) running debian
unstable:

After using the Eclipse IDE for a while, the GUI components stop
reacting on keyboard and mouse events and the CPU usage goes up to
100%. "top" shows that the cpu is eaten by java AND the X process.
(about 50:50). I tried out eclipse 2.0.2 and also 2.1-RC1 (SWT
version) and both versions show this problem. I also replaced
the JDK (Sun 1.4.1) to 1.3.1 both this didn't help either.
Using strace on the java process, it shows that java writes constantly
writes on a unix socket (fd #8) and then tries to read from it, but
read always returns EAGAIN.

Any hints?

- Michel