Re: Tomcat 4.1 (unstable) won't install

On Sunday 09 February 2003 11:03, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Saturday 08 February 2003 12:03, Takashi Okamoto wrote:
> > From: David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com>
> > Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.1 (unstable) won't install
> > Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:23:26 +0000
> >
> > > Well the problem is libbcel-java,
> >
> > I confirmed some of test fail with JDK1.4, it may cause error.
> > I'm not sure your problem is fixed or not, but could you try bcel at
> > here:
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~tora/deb/
> >
> > ?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Takashi Okamoto
>
> OK, I downloaded the libbcel-java source from the above site, changed
> the Build-Depends and Depends lines from 1.3 to 1.4 and it built and
> installed and Tomcat seems to run OK.  Obviously whatever tests failed
> (where are these tests and which one failed?) does not effect tomcat.
>
> This then brings us to the next question, which is about these
> dependancies. Libbcel obviously does not require 1.4, does Tomcat?  Tomcat
> 4.0.4 does work quite happily on 1.3 (at least 1.3.1).  Also given the
> current debate about meta packages, is it right to insist on a particular
> package (the Sun/Blackdown one) at a particular release (1.3 or 1.4).  The
> Tomcat package claims to require almost any of the available JREs, but also
> needs the 1.4 SDK, which rather instists that you have the 1.4 JRE to go
> with it.  Can we not use Jikes or GCJ as the SDK?
>
> David

Well the plot thickens.

I now have a tomcat that at least installs.  But when I try to run it there
are complaints about non-existant errors - at least I know they do not exist
in some cases.

I tried installing one of my WAR files from the JWSDP system, and in the
log there were complaints about "--" in comments in c.tld.  As far as I can
see (and as far as my the eclipse editor can find) the string -- does not
exist in /WEB-INF/c.tld.  So I looked a bit further back only to discover that
the same complaint is being logged about /WEB-INF/jsp/debug-taglib.tld in
the examples application.  Again I have looked at this file, and apart from
the --> that closes the two comments in this file there is no other occurence
of the string -- to be found.

David