Tomcat and JSP Standard Tag Lib

I have some applications which work just fine under the Sun packaged JWSDP,
but which fail when I try to load them under Tomcat as packaged for Debian
on a testing machine (so Tomcat version 4.0.4).

The applications are packaged as WAR files, and contain all the tlds and
the JARs for JSTL.

When tomcat starts it finds the WAR, and then complains that it has an
internal error loading the TldLocationsCache as the dtd file:-
http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd
can not be found.  Yet it found it under JWSDP.

Then when it starts to compile the JSPs it complains that it can not
find http://java.sun.com/jstl/core even though there is a perfectly
valid taglib mapping it to /WEB-INF/c.tld in web.xml, but I suppose that
this may be because it failed to parse web.xml properly.

Had anyone got JSTL to work with Debian Tomcat?

Regards

David