Re: JNI Installation Directories: Another push

Hi

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 06:53:12PM +1100, Ben Burton wrote:

> Hi, it's me yet again on this JNI issue.
>
> > My suggestion is that you start filing wishlist bugs against the jvm:s
> > and talk to blackdown folk (hi there! ;) ) or similar.
>
> Well, I filed these wishlist bugs, complete with wrapper scripts that would
> implement this JNI directory change, about three months ago.  Bugs were filed
> against gij-3.2, kaffe, sablevm, jdk1.1 and ibm-jdk1.1-installer, and an
> email was also sent to the j2se1.4 maintainer (since this package does not
> use the debian BTS).
>
> In the intervening three months, absolutely nothing has been done for *any* of
> these virtual machines, with the single exception of gij-3.2 (which,
> incidentally, was the only virtual machine I know of that couldn't use the
> patch I sent three months ago since it didn't support -Djava.library.path,
> but which had a new upload within days of me providing a patch that
> circumvented the -Djava.library.path problem).

Do you know why they have not done anything. Have they responded at all?

> A week or so ago I submitted source-level patches to the other JVMs in main
> (kaffe and sablevm), i.e., patches which augment the JNI search path in the
> JVM itself instead of relying on a clever wrapper script.  I haven't done
> this with the JVMs in non-free for the obvious reasons, but there are still
> the wrapper scripts I provided.

I'd like a source patch for java-common if you can provide such a beast.
Otherwise I'll try to make it myself. It is a lot easier to discuss if
you have the actual wordings. :)

> > When it has been implemented on some important jvm:s (like kaffe,
> > jdk1.1 and possibly j2re) I'll update the Debian policy.
>
> It becomes increasingly apparent to me that if we wait for this JNI path
> change to take place on "enough" JVMs, that this policy change will never
> happen.

You might be right here.

> People seem to agree that this policy change is a good thing and patches have
> been available for months.  Can we just change policy now, upgrade these bugs
> from wishlist to something more important, and then let the JVMs catch up?

Might be a good solution. What do other people think about this?

Regards,

// Ola