Re: request feedback on JBOSS debs

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Greg Wilkins wrote:

>   + The setting of JAVA_HOME should be done by an auto search and/or
>     a debconf dialog.

Use /etc/defaults/jboss, and if not set, have it look at standard locations
that java debs(from blackdown, maybe /usr/local) contain.

>   + The default webcontainer for jboss is Jetty, but you don't appear
>     to allow just the default deployment - as it depends on tomcat.
>     Tomcat is an optional extra and really should be presented that
>     way.   Alternately you should have a jboss-jetty deb that is
>     the default webcontainer for jboss, which may be replaced by
>     jboss-tomcat.

jboss debs on jboss-web-container, a virtual package
jboss-jetty(does not exist) and jboss-catalina provide jboss-web-container.

That's how my 2.4 packages worked.  I even made a test jboss-jetty, and even
had *both* deployed at once(I used alternatives to select the default web
container).

>   + I see you have taken the approach of just including all the jars
>     that jboss uses in the lib directories as if you had installed
>     jboss normally.  I can see the logic of this (simplicity) but
>     in reality it really should use the jars from /usr/share/java
>     is that your eventual intent?

All jars that already exist as packages should be listed as deps.  Any jars
that don't should be in a separate jboss-contrib or jboss-nonfree package, so
it makes things easier to keep track of.