Re: Eclipse 3.0 Status

Hello Jerry,

> Just wondering if anybody is working on packages for this, or has them
> available. It would be nice to get them into experimental.

I will try to get the available during early january, but I fear
that I won't get them ready until I have to start learning for my
exams (the next break would be in march). Unfortunatelly they will
have to be done from scratch, as I wan to try to get parts eclipse
into main and start doing builds from CVS (I'm fed up with
downloading 40MB+ Source).

> I'm also a bit curious how the built in Plugin update system is handled
> in the Debian packages.

In 2.1.x: It's disabled, more or less. There is actually no
mechanism for proper package management, eclipse will try to handle
everything by itself. So I set all 'plugin locations' as read only
(patched some things...). Unfortunatelly there seems to be a bug in
eclipse, so that the $HOME/.eclipse/eclipse location, which is the
only one not read only, will not show up in the update manager.

If you create a new location within eclipse (only valiod for one
'workspace'), it should be handled properly.

>  Does it work properly?

In 2.1: No. In 3.0 I hope. I've complained a lot and I hope that my
'use case' got integrated into the new updater. I haven't had time
to test yet. The 3.0 Stream just got finished with its major changes,
so that it will not change significantly from now on.

>  Can it handle plugin's
> placed in /usr/local?

No, as that location is also only accessable by one user. In 3.0
there is a manual updater, so root can do some 'update_usr_local'
(or whatever I might call the script).

>  Should it?

Manually and from root: yes. From a normal user: No.

>  Would it? When you use it in Eclipse,
> are plugins placed in ~/eclipse? Thanks!

In 2.1: No, as this plugin locations ('Linked in' locations) will not
show up in the update manager. You may add your own location at any
given place and this locations should be handled properly.

Jan