Re: Eclipse

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 19:23, Victor Niebla wrote:

Hi all, has someone succeded on building and using Eclipse with
Free Vm (like sablevm or kaffe) + Classpath ???

Sure. It works with most of the free runtimes now.
You have your choice of:

- mono + ikvm.net
http://weblog.ikvm.net/PermaLink.aspx/894943be-451e-4d6c-a692-77119eb02d06
(2.1 only as far as I know, but IKVM.NET follows GNU Classpath quite
closely so getting 3.0M4 working should not be that difficult.)

- kaffe
Kaffe from CVS (will become 1.1.3 in one/two weeks) can run Eclipse 2.1
out of the box. 3.0M4 needs some patches (that might or might not make
it for 1.1.3):
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-October/044313.html

Of course kaffe is as interested in new hackers as any other VM to help us push the treshold for free java runtimes a little higher [1]. ;) The earnest work takes place on the kaffe mailing list, the chit-chat is happening on #kaffe on irc.freenode.org.

In any case, if someone would like to contribute to any of the free VMs, be it kaffe, wonka, sablevm, etc. please make sure that you meet some clean-room conditions as outlined here: http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-November/044406.html

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] The wishlist for the next versions can be found here:
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-November/044431.html
Progress is happening gradually, and could happen faster if we had more volunteers [2] ;) [2] Especially DocBook, Ant, Maven & Tomcat savvy volunteers, as we plan to start using kaffe releases soon for documentation generation and the website:
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-November/044525.html
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-November/044528.html