Re: [Java-gnome-developer] naming and distribution issues

[following on from thread re placement of jni libs and jar files.
Original thread:
]

In answer to the suggestion of having a java-gnome-conf script generated
at install time so that users of the library can determine where jni
files and jar files are located on the current distribution:

I think this is a bad idea - it adds unnecessary complexity. For
example, all native applications (non-java) choose to place all
libraries in /usr/lib -- they must have had similar discussions about
this a long time ago. Why should java be different?
I propose that jni libs should go in /usr/lib/jni (as is standard for
Debian) and JVMs should be modified to look in /usr/lib/jni and
/usr/local/lib/jni for jni libs.

Debian-java have had similar discussions in the past (which I failed to
follow since I had too much real work on), so I'm CC'ing there in the
hope of advice.

One question I do have with my proposal though is what happens if
/usr/lib/jni has both libgnome-java0.8 and libgnome-java0.9 - How does
the jvm currently choose?

--
  .''`. Mark Howard
 : :' :