Re: findjava is the question, is fixjava the answer?

Hi Jan,

> only to debian-java and not to the BTS?

Only to debian-java because I felt that it probably
wasn't relevant enough to the bug report.

> IMO, this has the big drawback, of all alternative
> bases
> configurations, that the app can't be sure that the
> /usr/bin/java
> will be able to run the app. Even more: it can't
> even test for it,
> because 'out of packaging' JVM are also considered,
> which should not
> happen.

Well, if the Debian Java policy were modified so that
the command line were rigorously defined (basically
take the output of java -help from the Sun JVM or
elsewhere) as a guideline, then the app would be
guaranteed of this.

The alternatives system works fine for
sensible-editor, where you just specify a file on the
command line, as all the editors I know of (hell, even
Windows programs too) support that method of
invocation.

The same is true of sensible-browser if you use a URL
(specifying a filename is more browser-dependent,
e.g., mozilla index.html looks for a website
http://index.html/ rather than a local file).

I don't see why sensible-java, or just 'java' couldn't
have a standard interface, with things like java
-classpath BLAH -bootclasspath BLAH etc.  Isn't that
why Sun made the -X command line options, so that they
could implement wierd options without worrying about
breaking compatibility (because no-one relies on the
-Xmx flag, right? :).

If findjava does stuff with apt-get or dpkg, then
perhaps it should be more of a debugging tool, rather
than something that happens every time a Java program
is launched.  Startup time for Java programs is
already a contentious issue, especially for servers.

> > Is there a JVM in existence that doesn't provide
> the standard 'java'
> > wrapper (except Sun etc., where it isn't a
> wrapper, obviously)?
>
> AFAIK: no.

This seems to negate some of the reasons you gave,
other than 'a future VM might not do this'.  I should
read the bug report and associated threads before
writing further emails.

Many regards and a happy Wednesday to you all,

Ricky.