Re: additions to java-policy

Hello

Thanks for taking over java-common. I thought you would. :)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:03:22AM +0200, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> Jan Schulz wrote:
>
> >I just wanted to know what direction. I'm not suggesting to discuss
> >the things word by word...
>
> I've collected some suggestions for building Java package at
> http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/building.html. I think some of them
> (e.g. to use a well-defined class path) should become policy when they
> have proven to be practical.
>
> I've also come to the conclusion that adding the version number to JARs
> in /usr/share/java/ is a bad idea. Take for example libxercres2-java: If
> you've used /usr/share/java/xercesImpl-2.3.0.jar in another package and
> then upgraded to Xerces-J 2.4.0 your package will not work any longer.

Well this is a feature not a bug. :) The requirement is there so you actually
can make a versioned dependency and that it is useful.

> You would have to use a version package dependency on libxerces2-java,
> but then you can simply use /usr/share/java/xercesImpl.jar directly.

Yes and that is why the symlink is required.

> Appending the version would only make sense if the package name also
> contained the version so you could install multiple versions at the same
> time. BTW, I've not seen any package that usees the versioned JAR - so
> it obviously is not useful.

Well it has been useful, at least in the past. Some of the webapp packages
(cocoon et al) do use it. At least I think so.

Regards,

// Ola