Re: build .deb packages on jpackage, too ?

Le sam 07/06/2003 à 16:37, Jens Skripczynski a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot:
> > Le sam 07/06/2003 à 14:21, Jens Skripczynski a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wanted to ask, if the jpackage site would host debian packages as well,
> > > as the rpm packages.
> > > I found it great, while using my RH system. But now i switched to
> > > debian and tried to locate some debian file (since the site mentioned
> > > the apt-get port, I thought debian packages would be provided as
> > > well).
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I'd love to provide debian packages also. As you wrote, even if the
> > packaging system is different, a *lot* of the work on java
> > infrastructure, scripts, build patches and inter-package dependencies
> > could be shared.
> >
> > Unfortunately the current project members have their hands full and
> > unless a few debian users step in (just like we've got good RH/Mdk
> > coverage via RH/Mdk contributors) it won't be done.
> I would love to contribute debian packages.
>
> But I'm a total newby. Both to the directory sturcturing of jpackage and to
> the debian packages (I can cope with the gui for aptitude or dselect ...).
>
> Iff I would find the time and understand both (jpackage and debian package),
> would it be possible to extend the current website, that each project gains a
> debian binary  (and a source (there must be one)) package ?

Of course. Though I'd expect full apt repository before web access (our
web acess is a mess - one can't even see the hundreds of packages in jpp
1.0)

The hard is to build & maintain the packages, not to redistribute them.

> I think it is a great step forward. Especially there is no (stable) debian package for
> j2sdk-1.4 and we have 1.4.3 now...
>
> Tomcat and other packages exist, but I do not know which guidline they do
> follow, so this will be a lot of work to, so tell dpkg which debian package
> conflict with which other distribution.

We have some rules. Debian has others. Since we both share the main
values I expect the rules spirit to be the same. What may happen is we
have some sort of naming and debian a slightly different one. This could
be unified if everyone agrees to (the current situation is a bit insane
- it's not like they or us had any vested commercial interest that would
prevent cooperation).

I won't tell you to develop packages in parallel with the debian java
group. Packaging is a *lot* of work and our java repository is *big*.
What could be done if one had time & motivation enough is a bridge
between us and them so decisions not related to the deb of rpm part of
packaging could be shared, and jpackage rpms be the same thing as their
debian .deb counterparts (expect for the actual packaging system used).

(maybe even a common java-devel list for all matters not
packaging-system specific)

This would need btw more than one volunteer. But recreating yet another
java package repository would need even more people and be IMHO a stupid
waste.

> e.g.:
> we have debian jpackage xalan-2.3.1 and a jpackage xalan-2.4.0 installed. Both
> should not conflict with each other. What happens if someone tries to install
> the debian version. How is this recognized ? Must all jpackage pachages get an
> additional -jp tag ?

Please don't go a separate way. JPackage is about pooling all linux java
people energies, not the other way round.

Nicolas Mailhot